School Dress Code
Based on the need to address a standard and focus on academic learning, students’ safety, and the workplace, Harpeth High School will enforce the following dress code. This dress code applies to all genders.
- For health and safety purposes, shoes must be worn at all times. This excludes shoes with spikes, cleats, or shoes to be worn as house slippers.
- For security purposes, sunglasses are not permitted to be worn in the building, unless prescribed by a doctor.
- All student MUST wear their school ID on the torso.
To prevent distractions and indecency:
- Hats or head gear can't be worn.
- Undergarments are required and should not be visible. Cleavage and/or skin at the waist should not be visible at any time. (Strapless tops or dresses are not permitted.)
- Sleeveless shirts and tank tops may be worn as long as they cover all undergarments and the opening does not expose the area between the armpits and hips.
- Pants must fit around the waist and shall not be excessively baggy or allow undergarments to be exposed (Tennessee State Law).
- Holes or visible frays in pants revealing skin that are in violation of the length requirement for shorts (see number 11 indicated below) are not permitted. Students must have appropriate undergarments under the pants, such as leggings or tights. (Duct tape, paper in the hole, etc. is not allowed.)
- Leggings, yoga pants, and tight-fitting spandex pants are not permitted unless the skirt or top worn over them clearly covers the posterior and must be the same length in the back, front, and sides. Such pants should not be transparent or semi-transparent.
- Blankets, pajama bottoms, and house slippers are not permitted.
- Shorts, skirts and dresses must be no shorter than three inches above the knee. This is the length from the front, side, and back.
- Clothing should have no inappropriate messages or graphics. (Included but not limited to: Hooters, Playboy, Confederate Flag, sexual graphics or innuendo, images or references to drugs, drug paraphernalia, alcohol, etc.)
- Students are not allowed to wear gang, or racially/ethnically inflammatory style, or sexually explicit clothing, colors, symbols, jewelry, chains, etc.
- Costumes or face paintings will not be permitted unless Principal-approved and then must conform to the dress code
- .It is understood that the final decision will be at the discretion of the administration or designee.Students will be asked to fix the dress code infraction. Refusal to do so or subsequent infractions will result in disciplinary action.